Friday, December 9, 2011

The Wrightwood Years


Pam loved Wrightwood. When she was married to Greg, and they started skiing in the area and looking for a vacation home, she knew she'd found her personal paradise. It was obvious to everybody, and we were all thrilled for her. Even though it meant she was further away from us. After her brief Iowa detour, it didn't seem so far in any case.

When she and Greg split up, Pam stayed in Wrightwood. She opened her shop and was doing just fine on her own. Until her after work social drinking caught up with her.  I've got to hand it to Pam, we all insisted she retain a high-powered LA lawyer and pursue any option but incarceration. She wouldn't hear anything about it. From Pam's conservative point-of-view, she'd done the crime and would honorably do the time. All of it. And that's what she did. I wrote her every month, and Lupe & I visited for a weekend when we got the chance. Her backbone and character during this test made us love and admire her even more. At least in my case, and I'm comfortable saying I wasn't alone in that regard.

In Wrightwood, Pam met the friends that formed the fabric of her life in her last years. Here's the great, recent pic we got from her in October of this year.


And here's her shop, where it was always going on....


Also in Wrightwood, Pam met Johnny.  Johnny was Pam's partner. She lived at his place. She danced with him, she partied with him, and maybe most importantly, she fished with him.


Regrettably, I don't have a pic of Pam and Johnny together.  I'm still looking, as I seem to recall seeing one. If you've got additional pics, especially of the two of them, we'd love to post them here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment